GENERAL SUBMISSIONS POLICY
We cannot guarantee placement of your submission; we approve each contingent upon space available and contents' cohesion with the magazine's aesthetics and ministry focus. Each submission is reviewed carefully and DOP is always interested in potential long-term collaboration with new contributors. Please keep in mind that content decisions are made roughly 2-4 months ahead of the publication dates, and time your pitches accordingly. We prefer to publish only original content. If you would like to submit photos or written content that has previously been published, please include a link to the original publishing source. Due to the small size of our editorial team, we may be unable to respond individually to each submission. If your piece/photos fulfills a need and is accepted for publication, you will be contacted by one of our staff. Submissions are accepted on a volunteer basis only. If you are selected to contribute to our print magazine, we will include your brief bio, contact/social media/website info in the issue, and provide you with a complimentary print copy in thanks for your hard work.
WRITING Applicants must:
- Have previous writing experience in a variety of genres (such as poetry, short story, research, inspirational, etc.).
- Be skilled in grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation.
- Be able to provide samples of writing for review.
- Be willing to abide by the DOP writing guidelines (please inquire).
- Provide written content in 10 pt. text, double-spaced. Sentences should be single-spaced.
- Properly cite sources used.
- Convey Biblical truth and integrity in written work. We will be looking for Scriptural references to support all claims.
PHOTOGRAPHY Applicants must:
- Have previous photography experience, using a DSLR for shooting.
- Possess basic photo editing skills using Photoshop, Lightroom, etc..
- Provide photos in 300dpi. Resolution should be such that images can be cropped or enlarged to fit an 8.5x11” frame without losing quality.
- Be ready to submit a photography portfolio, or provide links to samples of previous work.
- Comply with DOP’s photography guidelines:It is the goal of DOP to uphold a standard of modesty, femininity, and beauty in photography.
Because of a diverse reader base, we do our best to neither offend nor ostracize people based on their convictions regarding dress. In an attempt to walk this line graciously, we have constructed the following list to provide guidance for DOP photography. Please have models adhere to the following standards:
- We choose to interpret literally the commands of 1 Corinthians 11, and ask that all female subjects demonstrate modest hair arrangements and cover their heads in some manner. Hair should be gathered up in either a bun or braid and be covered with a traditional veil, hat, scarf, or kerchief.
- Female subjects should wear skirts or dresses only; please no pants. Skirts should be at least mid-calf length. For male subjects, please no shorts or tank tops.
- At DOP, we choose to feature women in their natural beauty, and therefore ask that the ladies featured not be wearing makeup.
- Please no jewelry.
- Please ensure that female models have no cleavage or upper chest visible. Make sure necklines lie flat with no puckering. Avoid tight/clingy shirts and skirts that reveal undergarment lines.
- We believe it is possible to dress stylishly but modestly, so have your models reach for both. Avoid glamour shots or ones that portray an inaccurate reality of beauty. Include attractively assembled outfits that enhance femininity and the message of the accompanying article.